Monday, September 27, 2010

A Letter to Someone Who has hurt you recently

Well, not many people hurt my feelings.  I feel pretty lucky in that I'm easy going and don't take offense easily.  But the other day, I did have an experience that made me feel pretty bad.  I didn't really know the person so in some ways that makes it better, but in this "letter" it will give the story.  I'm obviously not giving this letter to them because they were a stranger basically to me.  But maybe it will help get the emotion out anyway.

Dear Stranger,

I was hurt pretty badly when you asked me "When are you due?" the other day.  To my quick response all I could say is that I have a 4 1/2 month old.  I know that my body isn't the same, but from one stranger to another, that is not something that you ask.  Get to know someone a little better before getting to that question, maybe even ask around to see if someone else knows before asking.  Might help in avoiding a hurtful conversation.  Just so that you know, stranger, I cried on my drive home that night.  Yes my 10 minute drive, the whole way.  I was hurt.  Not only haven't I been able to lose any of my baby weight and have been extremely self-conscious since having my son, but also I can't fit in any more than 5 of my shirts and 2 pairs of pants. 

On the other hand, stranger, thank you for helping me realize that I really need to crack down and start doing something about my weight and body.  You have inspired me to work out even harder in an effort to shed these extra pounds.  I will meet this goal and I will fit into my clothes again.

I forgive you for your question and I know that it wasn't meant out of harm, but out of curiosity.  

Sincerely,

Me

1 comment: