Thursday, January 13, 2011

Our Christmas Break

So this Christmas was kind of a crazy one, but we did have a lot of fun!

Before we left for our trip, I had a recital on December 18th for the dance studio that I work at.  There were 2 shows and they both turned out wonderful!  I was helping back stage getting the girls ready for on stage.  It reminded me how much I enjoyed the production part of dancing.  My pieces turned out really well and I was so proud of all my dancers.  While there I got some great comments about my pieces which always helps, especially being a new teacher at the studio and this is my first recital as a teacher at a private studio.  One of the comments I got was that my 9-12 grade modern class was the best modern they ever had performed on that stage!  Now isn't that great?   I really have loved teaching modern.  Not that I don't enjoy teaching my other classes, I just would rather teach modern as that is what I am most comfortable with.  I can break out of my skin and really feel like I'm a good teacher.

The night of the recital we left at 8:00pm on our trip to Salt Lake City.  Our target was to get to Ontario, OR which is supposed to be only 5 1/2 hours away.  As soon as we started, we knew it was going to end up being much longer than that. 

No more than 5 minutes, Jake gets pulled over for speeding in a construction zone.  But with his fast talking skills he got us out of it.  Then about 2 hours into the drive we reached horrible fog.  You couldn't see more than a 1/10th of a mile in front of you and the roads began to be really slick and icy.  NO GOOD!!!  As the drive continued the fog stayed with us and Semi's chains were falling off and in the middle of the road.   Luckily we made it to our destination that night and Joshua was a champ.  Sleeping the whole way to Ontario and then falling right back to sleep when we reached our hotel.

The next morning we visited Jake's grandparents in Caldwell, ID (Pictures from previous post).  It's always great to see family and this trip was full of that. 

When we reached Salt Lake that afternoon, we were so happy to get to my parents house.  The next 5-6 days consisted of Family Pictures, parties, ski trips, and just enjoying a great Christmas.  We saw just about all the family we could in the 6 days there and we definitely enjoyed our stay.  Christmas day was so much fun!  It was exciting to be back with family and to also have Joshua with us.  His most favorite part about Christmas was the wrapping paper.  He couldn't care less about his toys because he was surrounded by wrapping paper. 

We left Christmas Day to head out to Billings.  We had a late start because we had to take Joshua to the doctors.  Turns out he had an ear infection which of course added time to our already long trip.  With a stop at the pharmacy, we headed out.  We made it Idaho Falls that evening and spent the night with Jake's aunt and uncle, Steve and Jocie.  It was very nice of them to let us stay.  Definitely a life saver, and it's ALWAYS great to see them.  We used to spend so much time with them while living in Rexburg, that we miss seeing them and their children.  We left the next morning and arrived to Billings in good timing.  We were happy to finally see Jake's family.

Over the next few days in Billings, we spent lots of time together.  We made great food, went skiing, shooting, family pictures, and hung out around the house.  We had a great time and Josh was definitely spoiled!

We left Billings on the 30th, staying in Missoula that night and finishing the drive on the 31st.  We arrived in Yakima that afternoon and it felt so good to be home!  I love seeing family, but there is something about being home that you just can't beat.  We spent that night unpacking and giving our stockings to each other and Joshua.  

Jake and I are so lucky to be surrounded by such supportive family members.  We are so grateful for their love and support in our lives and we were so happy to see them this holiday season!

Now that we are back home, we are just getting used to our normal lives again. It took me awhile to get used to Jake's schedule because I had just spent two full weeks with him.  The first week back was hard, but I'm back into the swing of things, I hope. 

As the start to a new year I made a lot of resolutions for myself.  My goal with these resolutions is to look over them and revise them at the beginning of every month.  I mean that's only 12 times a year, but I feel like that will help me meet some of these goals:

- Make Family Home Evening Plans
- Spend more playtime with Joshua
- Stay in contact with my family more
- Keep a more organized life and home
- Record and write more songs

These are just a few of the things that I would like to work on this year and I hope that I can complete everything that I wrote down. 

Happy New Year everyone!! Good luck with those resolutions!! (Videos and Picture updates to come soon)

No comments:

Post a Comment