Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Joshua Dan Jensen

On May 8th, 2010 @ 5:21am we welcomed our sweet baby boy, Joshua Dan Jensen. He weigh 7 lbs 4 oz and was 20 inches long. We were overjoyed at his arrival and couldn't be more happy that he is here, alive and healthy. This is how it all came about. To avoid boredom and lengthiness, I will give you the shortened version.

Thursday, May 6th didn't go to work not feeling well. Went in to work on the 7th because I missed so much the previous day. Went home early because I was feeling achy and uncomfortable. Took a nap. Jake got home, decided to go shopping for mothers day and family birthdays.

Back labor and contractions started to progress at this point. Only shopped for about 10 minutes before heading home to time contractions. Contractions got worse and headed to the hospital. Didn't want to tell family until we knew it was the sure thing. Checked into hospital at 7:30pm, got checked by nurse and was at 2.5 cms and 90%. An hour later I was a 3+ to a tight 4 and still 90%.


At 10:00pm I received the epidural knowing it was the best decision to help me relax and get through the night. Napped. Around 2:30-3:00am I started to run a fever so they started me on antibiotics. 4:15am began pushing. Epidural was wearing off which I think helped with the progress throughout pushing. Liked it that way. Baby started to crown and doctor was called. More pushing... doctor decided to give me an episiotomy because I wasn't stretching, but I was tearing weird and he didn't want it to continue that way. At 5:21am our baby was born and placed on my belly. Jake and I balled. After what seemed like forever, they took him from me and the NICU transitional team was called because he was "floppy", lethargic and not breathing well. Scary and very surreal moment. Before they took him away to the NICU, we were able to hold him. We decided to name him Joshua Dan because no other name we had been thinking of fit. They whisked him off to the NICU and Jake accompanied. I was in recovery and repair mode (finally eating and drinking) and was completely exhausted after delivery.

Over the next few days we learned that Joshua had contracted and infection during late labor and delivery. Through blood cultures, tests and spinal taps they found that he wasn't septic and didn't have meningitis which was great news. He would be in the NICU for the next 7 days and our life had started on a large rollercoaster.

Even though those 7 days seemed like one big long day, atleast I knew that my baby was in good care. We took him home a week later and couldn't be happier. We have been so happy to see him feeling well and to see his progress. We love learning about his little quirks and even though we are exhausted at times, every moment is worth. The two people that I love most are with me and I couldn't be happier.

3 comments:

  1. so cute chelsee! I am glad your home and that things are going well:) you guys are a cute family! good luck...can't wait to hear more about your little guy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad he is home and that you guys are doing well! Love the pictures! He is a cutie. Let me know when I can come see you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute. These pictures are adorable. Love the spotlight one

    ReplyDelete