I can’t believe that it has taken me this long to sit down
and document this pregnancy. I don’t
know why it’s been such a task to keep up on a blog, but it has. Not something that I think about a lot, but
when I do I realize how behind I am and what a daunting task it would be to
catch up. I’ve caught up a little, but
for now I just wanted to take the time and catch up on Baby #3, or “Baby
Brother” as he’s been termed.
We found out we were pregnant near the end of July. It had been about 5-6 weeks since my
miscarriage and I hadn’t had a period yet, so we had suspected I might be
pregnant. We were hitting that time when
if it wasn’t going to happen then we were going to have to wait because the
timing wasn’t going to work well for the next 4-5 months. So on July 21st, I took a test and
there it was. I think my first words
were, “Holy crap!”
As much as the both of us were suspecting it, we were both
still surprised. I had put it out of my
mind somewhat just because I didn’t want to get my hopes up because it can take
people months to regulate, let only get pregnant after having a
miscarriage. So I truly felt blessed
that it happened when it did, because I really didn’t want to have to wait and
have a baby I the first few months of residency. I also felt humbled knowing that it truly was
in God’s hands and the timing of everything miscarriage and all was happening
just how He wanted it to, and just how it was meant to be.
We set our first appointment near the beginning of August
and I was definitely anxious for that appointment, as I am for most of
them. This one they did an ultrasound to
estimate the due date since I didn’t have a period in between the miscarriage
and getting pregnant. The estimated due
date they had down was only 5 days later than what we had anticipated so things
happened fast. We were very happy!
We told our families and friends when I reached about 12
weeks and once we could hear the heartbeat.
So far everything was looking normal and I was feeling great. I am truly blessed to not get morning
sickness in my pregnancies. Time was
passing fairly quickly with Jake gone and besides a little fatigue I was
feeling great. I was even able to keep
running (up to 3 miles) until I was about 15-16 weeks After that I couldn’t do much more running,
as it hurt my pelvis and hips too much from the impact.
I started to show at about 15-16 weeks. Pants began to tighten and in many ways I was
excited to finally start showing because then you get out of that “is she
pregnant or just fat” phase. Pregnancy
is always fairly easy on me and in many ways I actually enjoy it. I also started to feel flutters/kicks by
about 18 weeks and they got stronger and stronger as time went on.
At 20 weeks we had our anatomy ultrasound. Jake was able to attend for this appointment
and we were super anxious to see our baby.
We had all intentions going into the appointment of not finding out the
gender, but as soon as the tech put the wand on my belly, there HE was loud and
clear. Plus Jake’s seen so many and I
can follow ultrasounds fairly well, that we both figured we might catch and eye
of something if it was a boy. So we had
the tech confirm for us and were thrilled to know for sure that it was a
boy. We had really hoped for a boy this
time around, not that we don’t love our Audree girl, we just thought another
boy would be a great addition to the family.
Everything in the ultrasound was looking great, except for the fact that
he was a little small. ~26th
percentile overall with some of his leg and head measurements falling in the
teens. The doctor was only mildly
concerned and wanted to set up another ultrasound at my following appointment
just to make sure everything was still okay.
Before my next appointment I was getting a little worried
and began to dwell on baby’s short femur length, and after some Googling (I know,
bad!) I had found out that it can be a soft marker for Down’s Syndrome,
something that was confirmed by my new doctor at my next appointment (it was at
this appointment that I found out that my doctor would be on surgery leave for
the next 3 months. Yes, 3. I would be 36 weeks by the time she was back,
so I decided to switch over to the doctor that I was seeing at that 24 week appointment.
Like I said, we had a follow-up ultrasound, where it showed
that baby had grown as he should but that he was definitely still on the small
side. Our doctor mentioned that yes, it
could be a soft marker for Down’s Syndrome, but that it looked like anatomy
wise that he wasn’t. But if we wanted to
meet with a perinatologist for a closer look and second opinion that he could
give us that referral. At the
appointment we decided that we would just wait, but after a week or so of
sitting on it, we decided to go ahead and get the referral for the
specialist. Something I’m so glad we
did
We had our first specialist appointment when I was 26
(almost 27 weeks) and was really grateful that we met with her. They did a very thorough ultrasound (1 hour
long) to get all the details on his anatomy.
From the ultrasound they guessed that he wouldn’t have anything wrong,
as far as trisomy or Down Syndrome, but they offered a blood test to check for
that just in case. The perinatologist
was also concerned about baby’s size, especially his abdominal circumference which
was in the 8th percentile. At
this point she decided that she wanted to see us every 2 weeks for follow-up ultrasounds
and we’ll go from there. We had also
been introduced to the fact that maybe there had been some interference with my
placenta, by having too many placental lakes, but that she couldn’t be sure
that that is what is causing his slowing growth. She also mentioned the possibility that if
growth continued to slow, that I could get started on steroid shots to boost
baby’s lung maturity in the event that they would need to take him early. So after all that information and blood work,
we were on our way to follow-up in the 2 more weeks.
Just before our next perinatal appointment, we had heard word back that all the blood work came back negative for trisomy, which was excellent news! Such a relief. Then on January 2nd, at my follow-up appointment we didn’t receive the greatest of news. Baby brother was still measuring small and although he did grow over the past two weeks, it wasn’t as much as he should have. His abdominal circumference dropped from the 8th percentile to below the 3rd. So the perinatologist decided to have me start weekly visits with her for follow-up ultrasounds and Biophysical Profiling, she also said that I would start Non-Stress tests once a week with my OB. I went into that appointment with not a lot of questions, but as I approach my appointment this week, I will definitely be going in with more. Such as, at what point would she decide to start steroids? At one point and how early would she consider delivery? What does she suspect the cause is? What delivery options will I have, such as will baby be able to endure labor or will I have to have a C-section? Many, many things now that I’ve had more time to process and definitely now that we are to a point where it’s getting pretty serious. The drive home from the appointment I was very scared; I cried and cried. Now, even though I’m still scared and nervous for baby brother, I’m to where I want answers so that I can adequately prepare myself for what could happen. I’m in need to know so that I can have as much control as possible mode. So I’m really anxious for my next appointment this week on the 9th. Time has been passing SO slowly and I think it’s definitely a combination of anxiety and needing answers and the fact that Jake is gone on a trip and Audree is sick so I’ve been cooped in the house alone with the kids for the past 5 days.
It’s been really weird coming from 2 “normal” or “low-risk”
pregnancies, to one “high-risk” and crazy one.
All of the appointments and conversations that I have with people are
all very surreal. It’s seem so odd to be
talking about myself and pregnancy that way because I honestly never thought I’d
be in this situation. I’m truly grateful
that I have many skilled doctors who are keeping such a close eye on me. And I know that it’s in God’s hands and His will
is what will be best for us.
As far as all the other parts of pregnancy, I’ve been
feeling quite normal. I have cravings, laziness, fatigue and all the other
things I had previously. Baby moves a
LOT and by a LOT I mean a ridiculous amount, which I guess is a really good
thing, right? Compared to my two
previous pregnancies, I will say that I’m starting to feel a little old for
it. My body aches more than in the past,
especially my varicose legs (gross, I know, I feel like an old lady even saying
the words), and so I’m starting to feel a little more content about maybe not
having as many kids as I thought I would have.
We’ll take them one at a time though, and see how far we get. Never know.
Anyways, I’ve also been really blessed by all the loving
support of the family and friends around me.
I’ve already had multiple people come forward and offer to watch kids
and help out in any way that I need it, which I really am grateful for. Now that I have appointments twice a week,
they will all be much needed. And if for
some reason, we have to have this baby early and he ends up in the NICU, they
will all be VERY much needed. I’ve also
been grateful for all the prayers, fasts, thoughts, good vibes, etc. that have been sent our way. I pray daily that things will work out for
the best, both for the health of myself and for the baby, and that the doctors
will be inspired and prompted to make the best decisions for us. With all of that said, I know it will.




yay for an update! ive been worried about you guys and pray everything goes well. I'm kinda the opposite. 2 "high-risk" to 1 more "low-risk' at least for now. Keep us updated!
ReplyDelete